Sunday 26 February 2012

Well, true to mountains weather it's raining, so my outdoor attempts have ceased for the day.  Instead I chose to look through my bookcase for gardening titles.

Finding information here is a good way to start while waiting for any study to commence.  Tomorrow (Monday) I shall send necessary paperwork away and hope they enrol me.  Studying via distance education isn't for everyone but it suits at the moment, allowing more time for other things.

Other things include voluntary work.  Sometimes for a gallery, also, to gain experience with plants and decide which area interests me the most.  There is a not-for-profit organisation up in the mountains called Wild Plant Rescue which I shall be starting at next week.  There is also a community gallery in Springwood called Braemar Gallery which I have been involved with a little over a year.  It is inspiring and insightful for both volunteers and the public.

Why all this free activity?  As a debilitating, long-term health problem abates I am anxious to re-enter the workforce.  Hopefully self-employed as a freelancer.  My skill base dwindled while sick, so by following interests and building new skills I'm planning both an income and social contribution.

Although I'm the first to vouch for sitting inside writing,  I also stand at the front of the line trumpeting alternatives.  Looking out my window, it's easy to see why people are attracted to vocations that keep you outdoors.  It has stopped raining now and the bush is lush and inviting.  There is a universe I don't know about the natural world but the more I rummage on our 5 acres, and read, the keener I am to have a go. 

I've always had indoor plants, always involved myself with green community activities; and even completed an introductory permaculture course but I have yet to establish a garden of my own and planning it although exciting is a little daunting.  In the mean time I have been fussing around with my pots, perving on people's landscapes and looking forward to the journey ahead both physical and written.

For now I say good-bye and wish you a merry time planting, poting, weeding or anything else that floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment