Friday 24 February 2012

Project: Garden

This February morning finds me in my sunny office starting a new blog for 2012.  It is a fine summers day here in the Blue Mountains, surprisingly it's not raining.  In the past few months I have had some articles published in local magazines and newsletters about art, which is a modest beginning as a Freelance Journalist.  As my interests are widely varied I think a good way to string them together is to create a blog focused on investigating and reviewing each idea as it develops.  The first, and I hope a long-standing one, is gardening.  An early article was an artist profile on Rydal (near Lithgow) sculptor Antony Symons.  I visited his sculpture garden in November last year and was impressed by the way he married the natural world with his work.  My love of art and nature has been growing ever since.

I am the first to admit I know nothing about horticulture.  I am thinking of doing a Cert II through OTEN this year to help me but basically the initial project for this blog is to become a gardener.

This morning I walked around our land and planned the location for my forthcomming attempts.  All I know so far is I want one area to be full of local natives (drought resistent and low maintenance), the second, to be an organic herb and veggie patch.  I have a raw food diet planned for later in the year and all things going well by mid-year I'll be able to start.

The next few posts are going to be about the research into making this happen, and also, some before photos.

In the mean time enjoy your own gardening and anything new you may be trying this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment